Friday 11 May 2012

Last minute decisions ......

So came in this morning with a firm decision on where my door piece was to be placed... this was thrown to the winds rather quickly. Had a brief chat with Andrew firming up in my own mind that the piece belongs standing accepting of its previous use as a door (regardless of where it is positioned you cant take that fact away). Spoke to Kenny Hunter after this and he pushed me to think more about what was important regarding the piece, whether the writing or the object itself was the most important, which led to about three hours of constant mental struggle! The problem is that I can rationalise both methods of hanging either vertical or horizontal so it really did boil down to what I wanted to promote about the piece.  so here is (I hope) my justification for going with my original decision.

The piece standing up shows on it the physical labour that has been put into it, first the transformation from vertical to horizontal in order to carve then back to vertical for the hang. The struggle with producing the text itself is echoed within the slightly awkward and challenging way of reading (sorry clunky sentence cant quite find the right wording) the text. the endurance perhaps? I dont know. anyway best I could do in the short space of time. more for the viva!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment