Thursday 5 April 2012

blowing hot air

Having spent most of the past month and especially the last week making objects and putting together images it has got me to thinking about my practice again what it is that I actually do and why I do it. As im aware my fascination with found objects and imagery is the driving force behind the making of the work, I cant help but ignore what is maybe the hardest part of the work and that is without doubt the "making" choosing to produce works on plaster is really labour intensive and makes me jealous of people who can just make anything a work no matter the effort involved in production etc. Why do I feel that I would be short changing people (not least myself) if  I didn't put as much physical effort into the making as I do the thought? Thinking more along this line the production of work as in the physical making and producing of "artefacts" is possibly more important to my practice than anything else, putting my efforts into making objects to me invests them with a certain fragility or personality and history that would be lacking if I didnt go through all the process involved in the making personally right from the the mould making to the casting and cleaning to the printing and image composition.

The more I make these objects and prints the more I am slipping back into being an image maker and producer of "things" which feels good but in a way seems to undermine the past year or so of research writing and talking. Maybe that is being a bit harsh?

No comments:

Post a Comment